Most companies and businesses tend to depend more on digital campaigns now than real-life business endeavors. Even so-called physical stores and businesses are increasingly embracing digital marketing strategies. While search engine optimization (SEO) is at the forefront of the digital marketing strategies of any company, there are other equally important facets like a local directory listing, social media marketing, etc.
Though for years, companies are engaged in making SEO strategies better, poor SEO strategies can really prove to be disastrous for businesses. On the other hand, a great SEO strategy without a comprehensive social media marketing strategy cannot deliver the full potential of digital marketing for the brands.
What are the key mistakes that make brands suffer in their digital marketing efforts? Well, there are quite a few of them that keep occurring across websites and digital marketing initiatives of brands. Here we are going to explain the most lethal mistakes that businesses need to care about when unleashing digital marketing campaigns.
Plagiarised or Churned Content
There are many small businesses and startup owners who don’t have enough time to write content for their websites. They find it convenient to copy a piece of content from somewhere and paste it on their website. Yes, they are right in thinking that hardly anyone can notice such things. But Google will not only notice it but for such plagiarism, the website can be punished in search ranking as well.
If you have published any duplicate or plagiarised content whether in full or part, you are just preventing Google from taking your website into consideration for search ranking. Moreover, with the repetition of this offense, your website can even be de-indexed from search ranks and then even publication of unique contents will not produce any search result for some time.
If you think, instead of duplicating content churning content with paraphrasing and changes in sentence syntax will prevent you from being punished by Google you are terribly mistaken. Google now uses a semantic algorithm that can detect similar texts with different phrases and sentence construction. So, even churned content pieces with some surface changes brought to make them different from the original can be problematic for your SEO strategy.
Not Having a Clear Social Strategy
For your digital marketing, you need a clearly laid-out social marketing strategy with consideration for different social network platforms. First of all, your social network strategy should focus on platforms where most of your target audiences are present.
Since there are too many social platforms out there and your resources are limited, you need to pick up platforms where you find your target audience. Consider the following characteristics of platforms.
- Twitter: It is a microblogging platform that is great for making announcements and publishing certain notifications to grab quick attention. Creative use of the hashtags and 140 characters text limit make this platform sophisticated and unique.
- Facebook: Almost everyone has a Facebook account and almost every business has a Facebook page to connect to their target audience. Hence, Facebook is a must for crafting your social media presence.
- Instagram: Instagram is a social media platform dominated by visual content and is one of the trending platforms for millennials, professionals and upmarket audiences.
- LinkedIn: It is a platform for professionals, enterprise leadership, job seekers and employers. It is the perfect medium for B2B content.
- Pinterest: Pinterest is another social platform for visual content with the only difference of its predominantly female audience.
Apart from making a choice among these social media platforms, you also need to have a solid content and publication strategy. Here we provide some effective tips for a better content strategy on social platforms.
- First of all, maintain the regularity of posts with a disciplined frequency.
- Maintain a personal tone and voice with your social content. This will help engage more audiences.
- Another important thing is to engage with your audience on a frequent basis through comments and other interactions.
- Engage in Facebook Groups related to your niche.
- Make a Facebook Page and over time promote the page to create a robust audience.
- Lastly, boost further engagement with the help of sponsored posts and social media ads.
A big mistake committed by the vast majority of websites is stuffing the content with too many keywords. Stuffing SEO content with a lot of keywords can actually be detrimental to your content strategy.
Keywords are significant to boost the visibility of your content in the search engine rank. But overusing the keywords for search rank can actually have a negative impact on your SEO strategy. To stay clear of this common mistake, consider the following steps.
- Always have a full list of keywords based on topics related to your niche.
- Conduct rigorous keyword research to find the most searched search terms and keywords.
- Always have a secondary list ready with the popular and moderate-volume long-tail keywords besides the most searched keywords.
- Always make use of a mix of long-tail and popular short search terms.
- Always use keywords very contextually so that it fits the specific text. Don’t use keywords that do not fit into the context.
- In a 500-word content use keywords no more than two times.
- Maintain a gap of one or two paragraphs for two keywords.
Not Auditing The Backlink Profile
Almost everyone knows that backlinks make a website discoverable besides generating organic traffic. Backlinks also influence the search engine ranks tremendously. But many websites suffer tremendously from poor backlink profiles. There are several reasons contributing to this. One of the key reasons is neglecting a thorough backlink check from time to time. A backlink audit can help you find problematic links.
You can easily do this by using a backlink analysis tool. There are plenty of such tools out there in the market. Any of these tools will show you where these backlinks are located along with the respective page rank, domain authority (DA) and page authority (PA) and trust flow. In case you find any of these links to be counterproductive for your website, you can just contact the webmaster with a request to remove the link. In case you don’t get a positive response, you can approach Google for disavowing the link.
Poor User Experience Resulting in Higher Bounce Rates
Among all the big mistakes are responsible for poor search engine performance, performance shortcoming and poor user experience often make the biggest responsible factor. A whopping 79% of web users find poor performance and slow loading speed to be responsible for leaving a website. Apart from poor performance and speed, bad aesthetics is another major reason for web users to bounce.
Here are the key tips for preventing the bounce rate resulting from the poor user experience.
- Improve server response time.
- Make sure your website has the browser caching feature.
- Optimize readability of your content by using appropriate font, color and contrast, reduced cognitive load and a lot of white space.
- Avoid disruptive UI elements such as Pop-ups.
- Make sure your website is frequently updated with fresh new content.
There are several other mistakes and remedies that equally deserve a mention. But the above-mentioned ones are the most pertinent and persistent ones across too many websites. By addressing these mistakes you can easily give a facelift to your digital marketing strategy.